Thursday, February 17, 2011

Tabbouleh (or Fun With Wheat Berries, Part II)

I read that parsley is good for urinary tract health, a matter which is of grave concern to many women, myself included. So I immediately started thinking of ways to incorporate more parsley into my diet. Ariel is always saying we should have more salads, but I loathe salad. But my dumb ol' brain finally remembered that I like tabbouleh, which is essentially a parsley salad!

You might be familiar with tabbouleh being sort of like couscous - lots of cracked wheat and a little bit of parsley and tomatoes. This is more of a salad with some wheat berries included to make it more satisfying and give it some body. Ariel and I agreed that it was a recipe that needed writing down so I could make it again :)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup parboiled wheat berries or bulger wheat if you can't find wheat berries (Irish oatmeal would probably also work)
1 bunch parsley, chopped, stems removed
1 cup chopped seeded tomato, about 3
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion, about half an onion
Juice of half a lemon
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp cumin (sprinkle this in a bit at a time as you stir, or it won't distribute)

Cook the wheat berries (or whatever you're using) according to package directions. Drain and set aside to cool slightly. Then, just mix it all together!

Traditionally, tabbouleh is served chilled, but I enjoyed it warm and then I enjoyed at room temperature when I went back for seconds, heh heh. You can chill it if you like, though. The lemon juice vinaigrette keeps the salad fresh for a couple of days and the leftovers are often even better the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment